PDA

View Full Version : Xbmc

SOB-WYD
01-18-2014, 06:06 PM
I general don't post news about about software, I installed this the other day. This is a must have software. Basically you can get streaming content from the internet including movies that are still in the theaters and current tv shows with out the use of torrents. There are tons of Youtube videos to help you sort the program it out if need be.

http://xbmc.org
http://xbmc.org/about

XBMC is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub that can be installed on Linux, OSX, Windows, iOS, and Android, featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls. It allows users to play and view most videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media and the internet. Our forums and Wiki are bursting with knowledge and help for the new user right up to the application developer.

Whispered-WYD-
01-18-2014, 07:41 PM
How's the quality of this? bitrate, audio, resolution?

there is usually a HUGE quality difference between streaming and DLL movies (I've watched loads of animes through streaming websites, but switched over to downloading cause the quality is so much better (360/480 vs 1080) )
This especially towards the streaming of movies that are currently in theaters, are these streams camera recordings being streamed? (so horrible + horrible streaming = "brain explodes" )

I'm asking all this because I get my torrents from (pretty) safe sources so I don't end up with a virus. The only thing that would make me interested would be the option to see some theater movies sooner in decent quality (so no CAM recordings)

This just popped in my head, but this is probably more meant for the US right? concerning your laws towards downloading "illegal" music/movies/programs?
Thus streaming being a grey area where at least they can't get to you personally?

SOB-WYD
01-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Yep not all streaming sites are the same, but it will play your movies that's on your computer or push it to your TV as well

The_Dogg-WYD
01-21-2014, 03:39 PM
OMG I have to stop you right there Ken!

I've been using XBMC daily for over 10 years. Since the good old XBOX1 days.

XBMC is a media center application, it is one of the most advanced and reliable media center and it is 100% free.

But XBMC is not a way to watch pirated movies and tv shows. You can achieve this with plug-ins (that are not developed by team XBMC).

XBMC is a wonderful piece of software, I recommend it to anyone who has a computer hooked to their TV. I have a dedicated computer on each TV in the house to run XBMC and all movies and tvshows are on a server (locally). I also run it on a raspberry Pi for one of the tvs. It has hundreds on different skins for different experiences.

The best way to use XBMC (the get the best quality) is to use local content. I have an automated setup that download all my tv shows from usenet and sorts them and adds them into my XBMC library.

Anyone looking for more info on XBMC can just ask me ;)

SOB-WYD
01-21-2014, 04:46 PM
OK I wasn't doing XBMC justice! lol

The_Dogg-WYD
01-21-2014, 05:55 PM
I couldn't live without it.

it can be a bit hard to configure for the not too tech saavy, but it's getting better with every releases.

There is also Plex, which was originally based off XBMC. but they have gone a different way now, it's still pretty good and does things XBMC can't do (like transcoding). I run both because Plex allows me to stream all my files to my mobile devices (even while I'm out) so I can watch a movie on my phone or Ipad from anywhere I have an internet connection.

Plex is also a lot easier to configure

Rincewind-WYD-
01-21-2014, 06:54 PM
That sound exactly what i've been trying to do at home...... I have all my files / music and films on the PC but want to be able to access them on my phone / tablet either at home or out so will this Plex do that?

Whispered-WYD-
01-21-2014, 06:55 PM
ohh, I already thought it was something like that.
yeah I use Plex as well, our LG tv has an app for plex. I've got a NAS where I put all the movies on and play them to the TV.

The_Dogg-WYD
01-23-2014, 01:50 PM
That sound exactly what i've been trying to do at home...... I have all my files / music and films on the PC but want to be able to access them on my phone / tablet either at home or out so will this Plex do that?

yes Plex will do that, you have to install Plex Media Server on your PC and then you can download the Plex apps for your devices (the plex apps are paid apps but they are worth it) I also bought a plex pass (not entirely sure it is needed) I bought the lifetime pass a while ago.